Friday, April 6, 2012

In Memory of Tom Turkey

Our neighbors to the East have had a pair of turkeys for the past month or so.  I first discovered them one day, when I pulled in the driveway...and there in the front yard were two giant turkeys.  Just gobblin' away at each other.  Actually, to be honest, Tom Turkey did all of the talking that day...and every other time I saw them. 

They began to make almost daily appearances in our yards...front yard, back yard, side yard, they were not picky.  Our cats weren't really sure what to make of them.  They'd pretend to stalk the turkeys...then slink away, never taking their eyes of the big birds.  It was funny to watch.  Dakota liked to watch the turkeys, too, whenever he was at our house.  They had worked their way into our little animal family, even though they lived next door.

One morning last week, about 3 or 3:30AM, dad woke up to the coyotes howling in the front yard.  I'm not sure of everything else he may or may not have heard...and truthfully, I do not want to know.  I just consider myself fortunate NOT to have heard it myself.  When dad walked down the driveway to get the paper after the sun came up, he found piles of turkey feathers scattered all over our front yard and our other neighbor's yard, as well.  I believe he told mom that he'd also seen a full wing.  Mr. Tom Turkey was dead.  Dead at the claws of the neighborhood coyote pack.  When he talked to Tom Turkey's owner that morning, he'd told dad that they'd tried to call him home that night, but had not ever seen him again.

It was such an awkward feeling all day that day.  I was sad.  I actually ached for Tom Turkey.  And I'm sad all over again now, just thinking about it.  So in honor of Tom Turkey...here he is, in all his glory...

2 comments:

  1. That's so sad about both of them. : ( I don't know why it surprised me that the males actually look like that in real life, but it did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And you're right...it's like you see them on tv and in cartoons and everything having to do with Thanksgiving... but to see one up close and in person, well, honestly, the first time I saw him I think I was in shock. ha ha. Then I believe I promptly broke out in giggles. It was just weird at first. :)

      Delete

Mary Mathis, 1853-1929

Today you meet one of my 2nd Great Grandmothers, Mary Mathis.  Mary was born 171 years ago last week, on March 15, 1853.  She was one of 10 ...