Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Winter Wonderland

I love snow.  Like...REALLY love snow.  Always have, and apparently, always will.  As a kid, waking up to find snow on the ground was one of my most favorite things.  And as an adult, when I wake up to find snow on the ground, I get that same feeling I did as a kid.  Excitement!  There's just something about it.  How quiet the world is when there's a fresh blanket of snow on the ground.  How everything looks like it's covered in cotton.  I love it!

Yesterday morning, I had the extreme pleasure of waking up to a true winter wonderland outside my bedroom window.  If I could have called in to work, I would have.  But not because I didn't want to drive in it.  Nope....I wanted to go drive all over the countryside, taking pictures of it.  Sadly, however, I had to go to work.

Speaking of driving in the snow...that was something I prided myself on when I lived in Tennessee.  Being able to drive on snow.  Or rather, being able to drive on snow and actually get to where I needed to get to.  So many people down there thought they were invincible in any kind of weather...snow and ice were no exception to their personal rules.  And although they'd end up in ditches and such...I highly doubt they ever learned their lessons. 

The only time that snow almost beat me, was Christmas of 2003 (I think).  Either 2003 or 2004, I believe.  I don't know why I can't ever remember what year it was.  Anyway...Middle Tennessee had a snowstorm... a real and true snowstorm.  Everything shut down (but it usually did that with just a threat of one snowflake).  However with this particular storm, it happened so fast that people were stranded on the interstates.  Then it was Christmas Eve (so the storm must have come through on the 23rd, I think)...and I was supposed to drive home to IL.  And of course I was bound and determined to get there.  So I set out on Christmas Eve morning....and drove no faster than 40mph, on packed ice and snow the whole 200 miles.  Seven hours later, I pulled into the driveway at home.  The highlight of the trip had been in Kentucky...where in the median, there had been lots of snowmen.  I suppose people who had been stranded the day before, had made them while they waited to be able to keep going.  That was a rough trip that year...but I'd do it again.  :)

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live somewhere that I'd have snow all year round...or at least a good portion of the year.  But then I also wonder, would I appreciate and love it as much if I had it all the time?  I'd like to say yes...but who knows.


Me in 1978...I totally remember this snow, too.  I remember Dad clearing a path from the garage side door out to the shop.  Due to the snow drifts, I could walk down the path, and be completely hidden by the snow walls on each side of me.  It was AWESOME!



This is probably 1990 or 91-ish.



My view out the back door yesterday morning.






My view out the front door yesterday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Mathis, 1853-1929

Today you meet one of my 2nd Great Grandmothers, Mary Mathis.  Mary was born 171 years ago last week, on March 15, 1853.  She was one of 10 ...