Friday, December 9, 2011

A bit of history is gone...

This week a church in Christopher (a small town not too far away) burned down.  It was the First Baptist Church.  The church that my great-grandparents attended.  The structure that burned was brick...built in 1936.  My great-grandparents died in the 1940's.  My great-grandfather, John Preston Rosan, served as a Deacon in that church for several years. 

Before the brick building, this church was a wood building...and had also burned to the ground, prompting them to build the brick building on the same lot.  I do not know the year that the wooden building was built.  I might have to research that at the library.  But the wood building is the one that my Grandma grew up in, sang in, attended Sunday School in.  And I believe it is the place where she met my Grandpa, as well.  They would have been married and moved away from Christopher by the time of the first building's fire, so I'm not sure they ever attended the brick building.  But her parents did.

What makes it even more sad, is that just last week I had thought about writing (they did not have a website) to this church to see if they had any old records of any type, with the Rosan family mentioned.  I suppose it's probably too late now, as I'm sure any records they had would have been in the fire this week.  And I guess anything prior to 1936 would have probably been in the first fire, as well.  So I guess I'm out of luck with church records.  :(

Anyway...it makes me sad to lose this old church that held a piece of my family history in it's walls.  Here are some pictures...

This is a view in 1928 of the wood building.  My grandma would have been inside this church in 1928, as she was a Junior in high school that year.



This is from 1937, one year after this building was built.  This is the structure that burned down earlier this week. 




I took this in 2008, after finding a picture of my Great-Grandpa standing outside this church.  After seeing the picture, I had to go photograph the church. Now I'm glad I did!

Taken in 2008


Probably taken in the late 1930's or early 1940's.  This is John Preston Rosan standing in front of the church.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Mathis, 1853-1929

Today you meet one of my 2nd Great Grandmothers, Mary Mathis.  Mary was born 171 years ago last week, on March 15, 1853.  She was one of 10 ...