Sunday, December 18, 2011

Four concerts in four weeks...

I already posted about the Oaks' Christmas show last month...but I have now been to three other shows since then.  It's been a long time since I've had that much live music so close together.  I wish it could be like that all the time!  I am in my element at live shows.  There's something about the big picture for me...the lights, the dry ice machines, the noise, the crowd, all the people who are so happy to be seeing their favorite artists in person...oh, and the MUSIC.  :)  I love to just stand back and watch it all unfold before me.  This is one reason why I don't like to be too close to the stage.  When you're too close, you can't see everything that's going on.  I like to watch everything.

November 30th... found me in Nashville.  Glen Campbell was playing at the Ryman.  I love the Ryman.  Always have.  It's small enough, that no matter where you sit, you don't miss anything.  Well, there was one time my seat was behind a post.  ha ha.  But I managed just fine.  Anyway...this was part of Glen's final tour, after announcing being diagnosed with alzheimers.  Because of this, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Could he remember the words of the songs?  Would he be able to play guitar?  There was an opening act (that I hadn't really expected), called Instant People.  They were more on the Pop side of music...and they were very good.  Their sound was different from what I'm used to hearing, and it kinda reminded me a little of 80's Pop.  I wound up really enjoying them.  It turned out that three of the kids in the group were Glen's children... and then turned around and played as Glen's band, too. 

No, Glen did not remember the words to his songs...but thanks to technology, he had three small screens set up on the front of the stage, feeding him the words.  They also gave him the key each song was going to be played in...and who the songwriters were.  Sometimes, he'd comment on the writer, "Oh, I didn't know that's who wrote this song.  Really?  It was him?  I love that guy!"  He joked a lot about his health... "Have you ever gone into the kitchen to get something...and get in there and can't remember what you went for?"

This was the first time I'd ever seen Glen do an actual show.  I remember back in the day, when I was working for Bryan's fan club...and I'd spend a lot of time in his management office (which happened to be the same management for Glen Campbell).  Any time Glen was scheduled to come to town, nobody else mattered.  NOBODY.  ha ha.  The office would be chaotic, trying to make sure everything was perfect and in place or set up for Glen.  I am sure I rolled my eyes a lot about it...but it makes for a fun memory.  :)


(Glen and his daughter Ashley)




December 11th... This was my first trip to Murray KY.  I've driven past the exit my entire life...but had never had a reason to take it before this night.  This night was for Lady Antebellum.  The first time I saw this group perform, I was completely blown away.  That was in 2007, and a week before they were offered a record deal.  I barely got in on what would become the next great group of country music.  They opened for Tyler Hilton that night (he's another great artist that I would highly recommend!).  Since that first time, I've seen them a handful of times.  Each time does not disappoint.  If you have not seen them in a live concert setting, you absolutely MUST.  These kids (I can say that, since they are all younger than me, ha ha) have true talent, across the board.  They are impressive, they are humble (every time I've been around any of them, they are insanely nice), and they have everything that it takes to have a life-long career making music.  I pray that the industry allows talent to win this time.





December 16th...  Evansville, IN...Vince Gill and Amy Grant's Christmas tour.  I had seen Vince before.  He played at SIU around 1995 or so, with Patty Loveless.  Plus, he was always dropping by the campus of Belmont when I was there around that same time.  He's always been a huge supporter of the Arts at Belmont.  Every year (I assume they still do it, anyway), he hosted a celebrity basketball game in the gym.  I went a few times to that...and it was always so much fun!  After the game, they'd set up a small stage on one end of the floor and the artists who stuck around, would get up and perform with Vince.  I need to look into it and see if they still do those...it would be fun to go to one again!  Of course since I left school, they tore down that old gym and built a huge new center...with a parking garage (the first in Belmont's history).  Anyone want to go with me??  :)

I have always enjoyed Amy Grant's music, but I had not seen her before this Christmas show.  She was amazing!  I had friends in college that were huge fans of Amy's and new her personally.  They always had nothing but wonderful things to say about her.  This Christmas who was absolutely wonderful, though.  They took turns singing...then every now and then would sing something as a duet, of sorts.  Amy had all of her costume changes...but changing it up a little made it even more fun to watch.  They also did an inside version of a snowball fight.  I am not sure what the "snowballs" were made of....but everyone looked to be having a LOT of fun throwing them at others on the stage.  Everyone on stage was involved...Vince, Amy, the band, backup singers...and sometimes they'd come from the side of the stage, behind the curtain...so the crew was involved, too.  ha ha.

If you have not seen Vince and Amy's Christmas tour...you really should!  I'm already hoping they come somewhere nearby again next Christmas...because I would love to see it again!







Now comes the lull for me...no concerts in sight until the middle of April.  ha ha.  But you never know... one could pop up out of nowhere...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Mathis, 1853-1929

Today you meet one of my 2nd Great Grandmothers, Mary Mathis.  Mary was born 171 years ago last week, on March 15, 1853.  She was one of 10 ...