Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Memorial Day cemeteries, Part 4

This is a little belated...but here it is, none the less.  The final Memorial Day cemetery entry for 2012.

We used to include Herrin in the North Side run...but a couple of years ago, we began making it a seperate trip by itself.  Since it's the closest place, it's easy to just go after I get off work in the evening.

When you approach the cemetery on the main road, we are the first turn in past the stop sign (on the left).  We own 8 plots there...6 are taken.  I believe the story is that Grandpa Carlisle's parents bought them when Grandpa Carlisle died.

First we have Charles and Mary (Miles) Carlisle (my great-grandparents).  Charles is the son of James and Elvira Carlisle (buried in Rosiclare) and Mary is the daughter of James and Elsie Miles (also in Rosiclare).

Charles Carlisle, 1880-1958
Mary (Miles) Carlisle, 1882-1954

Charles Carlisle


(the original picture)
Nolan, Charles and Clara Carlisle
**This is the only picture I know of to have Charles in it**


Next to Charles and Mary are my grandparents... Arthur and Flossine (Rosan) Carlisle.  Even though Arthur is my grandfather, I have never called him that.  I guess since I never knew him, it feels strange to call him "grandpa".  So I just call him Arthur.  :)  He died when my mom was almost 6 years old, and she says she doesn't really remember him.  Then with Grandma, there are sooooo many memories that it should probably be reserved for a blog all by itself.  :)



Arthur Carlisle Sr, 1904-1951
Flossine (Rosan) Carlisle-Hawn, 1911-2000


Arthur Carlisle, Sr.


Arthur Carlisle, Sr. (I think this is one of my most favorite old pics)

Arthur Carlisle, Sr. and a cousin


Arthur Carlisle, Sr.


Flossine Carlisle-Hawn


Flossine Carlisle - Hawn (this is one of her Senior pictures... 1929 Christopher High School)


Flossine Carlisle - Hawn, working at Herrin High School


Flossine Carlisle - Hawn, 1994

Behind Arthur and Flossine is my uncle, Art (Arthur Jr.).  One big memory I have of him, is when he had been living in New York.  I don't remember if he had come for a visit...or if it was when he moved back to IL.  But he brought me a stuffed gorilla, and I think it's name was Gordo.  Now...I don't know if he'd named it...if there was a name on the tag somewhere... or if I named it that.  But I kept that gorilla forever.  And truth be told, it's probably around here somewhere if I looked hard enough.  :)

Next to Art is my older sister, Tina.  For obvious reasons, I have no memories of her.  But sometimes I wonder how different life would or wouldn't be if she had survived.


Arthur Carlisle Jr, 1933-1997

Art and Flossine


Arthur Carlisle, Jr.

Tina Trill, 1974
Across the cemetery from there, we find Pop.  I recently posted on Facebook about him, and had people post some of their memories of him.  He was a great man and loved his family very much, both his blood relations and those of us who just got lucky to have him.  He was born and raised in the hills of Tennessee, and moved up here to IL for work in the coal mines.  He was married first, to Maude Sexton (also of TN).  They had one son, Hollis, who died as a baby.  He is buried beside them.  Their other son, Gene, I remember well.  I used to have an old Johnston City High School yearbook of his, that I'm sure I'd borrowed from Grandma's house one time...and it just never made it back.  ha ha.  I don't know what year it was from...just that it was old.  Maybe the early 1940's?  Anyway... Pop always worked in the mines.  One that he worked in was here, in Ferges.  Preston brought home a map from possibly the 1940's (?) recently.  An aerial view.  I didn't see it...but mom told me that you could see a path from Pop's cow pasture, through the fields and over to the mine.  I'm sure he could have walked that path in his sleep.  Anyway... his first wife passed away in 1976.  He then married Grandma in 1978.  And I clearly remember the night he passed away.  He had been in the hospital (I don't remember what for), and had needed to be taken somewhere else to be cared for (I don't think Grandma was capable of that kind of care at the time).  I remember knowing he'd been moved to a nursing home...then I remember the phone ringing and dad answering it.  It was Don (Pop's grandson), informing us that Pop had died.  That was the middle of my junior year of high school, and just about a week before my birthday.


Burl Hawn, 1902-1993



Burl Hawn


Burl and Flossine (I absolutely love this picture)

Burl and Flossine (not sure what year this was taken...but may have been around 1990-ish)

After Pop, we go up the little road and jog to the right...then left...and we're at Frieda's grave.  Frieda was like another grandmother figure for me.  She was my babysitter, but in today's terms, she would have been called a Nanny.  She came out to the house, Monday through Friday, and kept me while mom and dad were at work.  She would leave when dad got home (he got off work at 2pm those days, I think).  I remember going into Herrin and going to Sonic for tatertots.  I'd put the glove compartment door down and set up my food.  Then we'd go out to Herrin Park and feed the ducks a lot.  We used to walk all around Ferges.  One story is that she wore out my stroller from walking the Ferges roads so much.  :)  I used to love spending the night at her house.  She lived on the top floor of the high-rise building in Herrin.  We used to make the elevator doors open by saying "Open Sesame"...I just KNOW it was because we said it.  :)  And you could see the Ferges watertower from her bedroom window.  After I went to school, she found other babysitting work...but then Preston came along and she came back to take care of him, too.  I always wanted to stay home from school and play with her.  We loved to play Yahtzee and card games.  I'd pop popcorn and butter it up really good, add some garlic salt...and we'd sit at the kitchen table and play games all day.  We were VERY lucky to have her in our lives.



Frieda (Neber) Reimer, 1916-1999


Frieda Reimer, about 1976 (at grandma's house for a Sunday School event)

Frieda and Preston, down by the pond

That's it for Herrin Cemetery.  I also put a little bunch of flowers on Frieda's sister, Gladys' grave.  I can remember going to visit Gladys at her apartment in Herrin.  She was always really nice.

I also have a few people in Johnston City that I put flowers on...but I didn't take pictures of those this year.  I decorate three graves in Lakeview Cemetery...

  • Mrs. Katherine Kowalis....  One of my high school teachers.  I know I had her for Speech, and one year of English.  I think it was Sophomore English.  She was always such a nice person, and you could just tell that she dearly loved her students.  Her husband owned the one grocery store in JC. 
  • Mrs. Georgia Long...  She was my 4th grade teacher, and to this day, one of my most favorite.  She wrote me a note the last day of school that year, telling me to be true to myself and always believe that I could do or be anything I dreamed of.  I still have that note, although now it's a lot more rumpled and creased. 
  • Paul Eberhardt...  He was in my class.  I know we were in band together...but I don't recall if we had any regular classes together or not.  He and another boy in my class died our junior year, in a car accident.  I remember very clearly, the day after the accident (it had taken place at night, I believe).  There was an assembly (of course), to inform everyone what had happened.  I know we left school that day, and just everyone hung out together, off campus.  I can remember going to someone's house for a while, then a group of us went to Marion for pizza.  Anyway...I found Paul's grave just a couple of years ago, so I added him to my flower list.  We were friends (shoot, everyone in our class was friends with each other...there were so few of us), but we didn't really ever hang out one-on-one.  He was a good guy, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Mathis, 1853-1929

Today you meet one of my 2nd Great Grandmothers, Mary Mathis.  Mary was born 171 years ago last week, on March 15, 1853.  She was one of 10 ...