Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day cemeteries, Part 3

The North Run... 

We begin with the Mulkeytown Cemetery in...you guessed it... Mulkeytown.  This is Franklin County.

Mulkeytown Cemetery, Mulkeytown IL
Here we have one stone belonging to Robert and Alice McQuinn.  Alice's maiden name was Lively, and she was a sister to Clara Belle (Lively) Rosan, making her one of grandma's aunts.  Some of you might remember or remember hearing about grandma's cousin Maxine...Alice is her mother.  This makes Alice my 3rd Great-Aunt.

Alice Lively McQuinn, 1868-1957
Robert and Alice McQuinn

Leaving Mulkeytown, we head west into Perry County, to DuQuoin.  The main cemetery there is the I.O.O.F. Cemetery, and it is BIG.  The picture does not do that justice...

I.O.O.F. Cemetery, DuQuoin IL
Here we have a handful of people buried.  First there is John Preston and Clara Belle (Lively) Rosan, grandma's parents (my great-grandparents).  Their stone is in bad shape, from sinking.  A few years ago, mom called someone to go in and try to fill in underneath the stone, hoping to raise it back up.  The people went and claimed they couldn't do anything about it...and knocked the stone off it's base in the process.
Clara Belle Lively Rosan, 1875-1944
John Preston Rosan, 1876-1948


The Rosans, circa 1915-ish
Clara Belle and John seated, Flossine and Norton in laps, Nolan standing

Clara Belle Lively Rosan


John Preston Rosan

Also in this cemetery we have William and Luvisa (Burton) Lively.  They are Clara Belle's parents, making them my 2nd Great-Grandparents.  Luvisa was born in Hardin County, IL...but all of her older siblings were born in middle Tennessee.


William Lively, 1844-1926

Luvisa Burton Lively, 1848-1929


Luvisa Burton Lively

Scattered around are more Livley's, other children and grandchildren of William and Luvisa.  Back in the far corner of the cemetery is Luvisa's sister, Julia Wilson.  I left rocks on all of these stones this year.

After I.O.O.F., we head north out of DuQuoin and then west towards Pinckneyville.  Between the two is the turn-off for Nine Mile Baptist Church Cemetery.  When this cemetery was first started, there was a log cabin that sat there, and was the Nine Mile Baptist Church.  You also got out to it from DuQuoin a different way than you do now.  Somewhere along the way, the stripmines came into the picture and the roads changed.  This is why grandma didn't know how to get to this cemetery by the time we started looking for it. 


On the gravel road to Nine Mile Cemetery


Where the mine buildings used to be, along the road to Nine Mile Cemetery

The water-filled strip mines, on the road to Nine Mile Cemetery


Nine Mile Baptist Church Cemetery, Perry County IL


Original site of the Nine Mile Missionary Baptist Church, Mother Church of the Nine Mile Baptist Association.
Organized 1829
Moved to new site 1959
 Here we have Smith Rosan, my 2nd Great-Grandfather (grandma's grandpa).  He is also one of my Civil War Boys, however he does not have a military marker.  On records from the War, he is listed as "Rosan Smith", since the name "Smith" was thought to be a last name...not his first.  Therefore, no military marker.  It's on my list of things to accomplish (hopefully sooner than later), to try to get him one.  But since I didn't get it done in time for this Memorial Day, I compromised with a larger flag than usual...and put his info on it.

Smith Rosan, 1845-1897

Smith Rosan
Private, Company C, 81st IL
Private and Corporal, Company B, 58th IL

Smith and Mary (Mathis) Rosan


Smith and Mary (Mathis) Rosan are seated.
The others are family, but I'm not sure who.
Also in Nine Mile is Weston Lively Rosan, grandma's oldest brother.  He died when he was two years old.  I can remember grandma talking about how she remembered going to the cemetery with her mother, to put flowers on Weston's grave...and how there were still toys there, she guessed from his funeral.  I have to wonder, if we dug down around the sides of the stone at this point in time, if we might find some toy remains?
Weston Lively Rosan, 1899-1902


Weston Lively Rosan
We have other family in this cemetery...Rosie Kirkpatrick (maiden name is Rosan), is a child of Smith and Mary Rosan...making her a 3rd Great-Aunt.  She has two children buried beside her.  There are also a few Mathis relatives here.  William, Preston and Sarah (Hall)...they are all siblings of our Mary Mathis Rosan, making them 3rd Great-Aunt/Uncles.



Rosie (Rosan) Kirkpatrick, 1879-1905
and her husband Alma


William Mathis, 1851-?
After leaving Nine Mile, we continue heading west and cross into Randolph County, until Sparta.  Just on the west side of Sparta is a little road to turn off on...and after one more turn, you are almost to the Lively Cemetery.  "Old" John Lively once owned this land, and donated this particular plot for a cemetery.  John Lively is my 4th Great-Grandfather, and was one of the first white settlers in Randolph County.  We descend from his first marriage, all children born in South Carolina.  Molly (first wife) died and he re-married pretty quickly.  His new father-in-law was Joseph Anderson, who was a pretty prominent person at the time.  Joseph had ridden with George Rogers Clark on his expeditions to Southern Illinois in 1778 and 1779, when he captured Kaskaskia and Vincennes.  "Old" John Lively packed the family up in 1805 and left South Carolina behind him.  I could write a ton more about this man...but will have to save it for another blog.  :)


Lively Cemetery, Randoph County IL


"Old" John Lively, 1760-1828
Turner Lively, Sr. is also in this cemetery.  Turner is the son of John and Molly Lively.  He is also the father of William Lively, buried back in the I.O.O.F. in DuQuoin.  Turner Sr. is my 3rd Great-Grandfather.  John and Turner's stones are right beside each other, but I'm not sure if that's the exact location of the bodies.  The stones are right at the very front of the cemetery, to greet you when you pull up.  Then there's a ton of space, which I'm sure has burials...just no markers.

Tuner Lively Sr, 1795-1872
 I'm sure we have other family members buried here, but the only other one with a stone, is Turner Lively Jr.  The first time we found this cemetery, in one corner was a huge pile of broken stones.  I'm not sure what happened to them, but this is the current pile that's there.  I have photo documented them all and put them online, so at least there's that record of them.  It's also a common thing to be walking in this cemetery and all of a sudden you are stepping on a stone.  One that's like these, but by itself and nearly all the way covered by the ground.  I don't know how many years it takes for the ground to cover a stone after it's been knocked over...but either way, it's really sad.

Lively Cemetery, Randolph County IL

Just down the road from the Lively Cemetery, is the Fairview Baptist Cemetery.  The church says it was established in 1844.  Up until this year's visit, I've thought that it was still in use.  But now I'm not so sure.  There are some small holes in the siding on one side, and I saw a rather large lizard run underneath the building when I was walking around.

Fairview Baptist Church, Randolph County IL


Fairview Baptist Church Cemetery, Randolph County IL


I found this old bell.  Up until this year, this area of the churchyard has been overgrown with bushes.
Someone has come in and cleaned up the yard a lot since last May...and uncovered this.  I wonder if it's original to the church?
 This cemetery has several younger generations of Livelys.  But it also has Joseph Lively, a Civil War Boy, and my 3rd Great-Uncle.  Joseph is a brother to William Lively (IOOF in DuQuoin) and a son of Turner Lively Sr.  I was sad to see that in the past year, his stone has been knocked into (most likely by a lawnmower).  There is a chunk out of one corner, and it's leaning forward.  There are deep holes on three sides of the stone, so all it would take is someone to fill in with dirt and set the stone back upright...but it most likely will not be done.

Joseph Lively, 1832-1912
When you go back through Sparta and head north, you will pass the high school (about a block or two from the main highway).  There is a stone in front of the school, with a plaque naming Revolutionary War veterans who settled in Randolph County.  Joseph Anderson is listed, as well as "Old" John Lively.  However, accounts that I have read, our John actually fought for the other side.  The Battle of 96 in South Carolina saw John, his father, and a couple of his brothers fighting for the British.  In this battle, his father and I believe, one brother died.  So I am not sure of what kind of research the D.A.R. did in 1934 when they erected this monument.  Maybe they knew something I do not know?
Revolutionary War Veterans monument at Sparta High School





After Sparta, we go north to Tilden.  Here at the Tilden Cemetery is Mary (Mathis) Rosan.  She was Smith Rosan's wife, making her my 2nd Great-Grandmother. Also here is Margaret (Rosan) Goddard and James Rosan (and his wife Winnie).  They were both siblings to our John Preston Rosan, and children of Smith and Mary.


Tilden Cemetery, Tilden IL


Mary (Mathis) Rosan, 1853-1929


Mary (Mathis) Rosan
From Tilden, we trek back over to Sesser.  Here we decorate the grave of cousin Maxine.  Maxine was grandma's cousin, and the daughter of Robert and Alice McQuinn (from Mulkeytown Cem).  Grandma and Maxine grew up together and were very close.

Sesser Cemetery, Sesser IL


Maxine (McQuinn) Bright Dace, 1906-1989


(top) Robert, Alice and Maxine McQuinn
(bottom) Flossine and Maxine and their dolls
We are almost done with the North Run!  After Sesser we head back south to Benton, to the Masonic/Oddfellows Cemetery.  Buried here is my cousin, Shawn Trill.  I remember the last time I talked to him, I was getting ready to start high school.  We were at their house in Benton (my Uncle John and Aunt Sharon's).  He told me how easy high school would be for me.  Then I remember my parents getting the call that Shawn had died in a car wreck.  I remember the funeral clearly, and I remember going to see the car at the salvage lot.  I remember thinking how lucky the guy who survived had been, because it didn't look like something someone could survive.


Masonic/Oddfellows Cemetery, Benton IL

Shawn Trill, 1968-1990

Shawn Trill
Also buried in Benton is a good friend of mom's, Carolyn.  And Traci's mother is there, as well.

This concludes the North Run for cemeteries!  I think it took me as long to put this blog together, as it does to drive it.  ha ha.  If there are any ancestors that you might like to know more about in a future blog, be sure to let me know!  I can devote more time to their history, then I could in these blogs.




1 comment:

  1. Hey, this is awesome. What good work, and beautiful presentation. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Mary Mathis, 1853-1929

Today you meet one of my 2nd Great Grandmothers, Mary Mathis.  Mary was born 171 years ago last week, on March 15, 1853.  She was one of 10 ...