Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

391 years ago, the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock.  390 years ago, the remaining Pilgrims who had survived the first winter in America ,celebrated the first Thanksgiving.  My 10th-Great Grandparents were on the Mayflower, as well as my 9th-Great Grandfather (their young son).  His parents did not survive the first winter, and the young boy was raised by his Uncle (his father's brother).  Young Samuel Fuller (parents were Edward and Anna Fuller) grew up and married Jane Lathrop...their daughter Hannah married Nicholas Bonham in 1659...their son Hezekiah married Ann Hunt... their son Nehemiah married Elizabeth Martin... their son Benjamen married Phoebe Oney... their son Smith Bonham married Anne Cleavenger in 1807... their daughter Rachel married James Rosan in 1839.... their son Smith Rosan married Mary Mathis on July 4, 1870 in Perry County, IL.  Their son John Preston Rosan married Clara Belle Lively in 1899.  Their daughter Flossine married Arthur Carlisle in 1930...their daughter Clara married Lawrence Trill in 1969...and then there's me.  :)

Today I am thankful for (in no particular order) a house to live in, a job that pays me, the unconditional love of my furry babies, each and every one of my friends (who are scattered from coast to coast), food to eat, a car to drive, the creativity and talents of songwriters and musicians to listen to, the stories that authors put into books for me to read, my church, clothes to wear, dad's garden to harvest, all of my friend's kids (all my pretend nieces and nephews), my Sunday School kids.  I am grateful to live in a country where I can express such thanks for these mentioned things.  I am grateful for those who have fought over the centuries to keep this country a place where we can rejoice and give thanks.  I am thankful for all of my family (past, present and future).  I am thankful that I was raised to love my family, love God, be respectful of others, believe in myself, and to know that giving is better than receiving.  Thank you to my ancestors for instilling the importance of family for generation after generation...and to whichever one of them planted the genealogy bug in me.  I have always felt it is very important to know who you are and where you came from. 

I come from the Mayflower...that small group of people who wanted to serve God in their own way and not have a list of rules telling them how and when to worship.  They were brave men and women to have made that journey for something they believed in.  I am grateful for them.

I read that upon landing at Plymouth Rock, William Brewster led the Pilgrims with a reading of Psalm 100.  I will close this blog with it...

Psalm 100
Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth.
Serve the Lord with gladness,
Come before Him with joyful singing.
Know that the Lord Himself is God.
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves.
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving,
And His courts with praise.
Give thanks to Him, bless His name.
For the Lord is good,
His lovingkindness is everlasting,
And His faithfulness to all generations.


Smith and Mary (Mathis) Rosan



Grandma in her kitchen...this might have been a Thanksgiving.



Flossine and Clara Belle (Lively) Rosan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Mathis, 1853-1929

Today you meet one of my 2nd Great Grandmothers, Mary Mathis.  Mary was born 171 years ago last week, on March 15, 1853.  She was one of 10 ...