Sunday, April 21, 2013

Blast from the Past

When I think of my college days, I think of the music.  Granted, I was living in Nashville at the time, so I was literally surrounded by people who lived and breathed music.  Plus, I was a Music Business Major at Belmont University, so I was one of the ones who moved to town to try merge into the world of living and breathing music.  All I had ever seen myself doing when I "grew up", was being involved in the music industry.  My original plan in high school, was to go off to Tennessee...meet all these wonderful people who felt the same way I did...and then magically become a Road Manager for some new up and coming artist who was trying to break into the business.  I wanted to help that artist and give them everything I had, in order for them to become  a success.  Then whenever I got tired of touring all the time, I figured I'd settle down and become a Record Producer, allowing me to stay home most of the time.  I had it all figured out, right?  Yep.

Halfway through my freshman year of college, I actually attained a piece of that goal.  I was taken in by someone in the business and given a job to do, helping out with a Fan Club office.  It was so much fun, I could hardly believe I was being allowed to do all that I was being allowed to do.  I just knew it was the "big break" custom made for me, to get my foot in the door.  And it was...for a time.  I met a lot of great people, from all types of industry positions.  Managers, musicians, Label execs, artists, songwriters, etc.  The whole broad spectrum.  But what nobody had told me, was that for every genuine and sincere person out there, there are five who want nothing but to take you down.  Therefore, my fun run in the industry was short-lived and I was forced to get out while I could still hold my head up (even though there were some days it was the hardest thing to do).  And sadly, some things just never change.

All of that to say...on the flip-side of the sad parts...in the end, it was truly the music that got me by.  The live shows that I continued to go to and the friends that I'd made.   The friends I made through the artists that I was privileged to see perform together tonight, are the ones I will always and forever think of with the fondest memories.  So thank you to the music...and the artists....especially the boys I saw tonight.  They, too,  are forever in my heart for their own reasons.

It was a great way to spend the first official night of my 2013 vacation...  Thank you Puckett's Franklin for having these two!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Mathis, 1853-1929

Today you meet one of my 2nd Great Grandmothers, Mary Mathis.  Mary was born 171 years ago last week, on March 15, 1853.  She was one of 10 ...